Monday, June 20, 2011

Easy Marshmallow Fondant

In the beginning of my foray into cake decorating, I would cover all of my cakes with my own, homemade marshmallow fondant.  I used a budget friendly recipe, which was great! 

I was able to affordably practice rolling out the fondant, getting comfortable with the texture, pliability and overall feel of the dough.

When I started my bakery business and the orders started to pour in, I found myself dreading having to spend time making the fondant and waiting for it to rest.  I started looking for a commercially made fondant that worked as well as my own.

These days, Satin Ice is my fondant of choice.  It's ready when I need it.  No prep required!

There are still times, however, that I will make up a batch of this Easy Marshmallow Fondant.  If it's going to be homemade, it's going to be this recipe.

For those of you just starting out or looking for an easy and great tasting fondant recipe, why not give this one a try.  You won't be disappointed!

Easy Marshmallow Fondant:

Ingredients

15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 tbl water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon flavor
2 lbs (10x) powdered sugar
1/2 c. Crisco (approximate)


Directions

Measure salt, juice, corn syrup and flavors into small bowl.

Grease microwaveable bowl and heat proof spoon w/ Crisco.  Pour marshmallows and water into bowl.  Microwave for two minutes, stopping to stir at 40 second intervals.  Mixture should be soupy.

Remove from microwave and immediately stir flavoring mixture into marshmallow mixture.

Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, stirring after each addition.  After approximately 5 cups, grease hands with Crisco and begin to knead dough.  Add another cup of powdered sugar and continue to knead.

Turn dough onto greased work surface, adding remaining powdered sugar.  Dough should not feel sticky, but should be pliable. 

Coat finished dough with Crisco.  Double wrap in plastic and seal in a Ziplock bag, pressing air from bag before sealing. 

Allow to rest several hours at room temperature or overnight.

Store remaining dough tightly sealed at room temperature for up to 2 months.

To Use

Finished dough will be firm.  Knead for pliability, adding a little extra Crisco if needed.  Roll out on clean, flat surface dusted with powdered sugar or cornstarch.


2 comments:

  1. This recipe is perfect! The first time I tried making fondant, it was a complete nightmare...And it looked like one too! As you know haha!.

    Your recipe was easy and didn't leave me with much mess either. The best part though, was that it was sooo easy to work with. It's fun like play dough. :)

    This is a keeper and definitely the recipe I'll go to whenever I need fondant.

    Thanks for sharing!
    -Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I should have also mentioned that this recipe is adapted from Rhonda's Ultimate Marshmallow Fondant. Thanks, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete