Thursday, June 23, 2011

Feverish!

I woke up this morning feeling like someone had beat the crap out of me overnight:  feverish, body aches, sore throat, the whole nine yards.  I'm also feverishly excited, though, because . . .


FLORIDA HAS PASSED THE COTTAGE FOOD ACT!

What is the Cottage Food Act, you ask?  Well, here is a link containing the 2011 legislature for your reading pleasure.


Scroll to Page 29, Line 786 for pertinent information.

This is particularly exciting news for me, and I'll explain why. 

In my home state of Michigan, back in 2007, when I decided to "do cakes" full time,  the Department of Agriculture required food operations be conducted in a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen.  Since I had just lost my job in the legal field and had two babies to take care of, I didn't have extra money lying around to buy expensive kitchen equipment or to pay on a lease. 

I was lucky enough to find a kind business owner with kitchen space to share, and I paid her a flat monthly fee for the use of her absolutely beautiful kitchen, three days a week.  Just looking at the pictures of her place makes me smile...




When my business began to grow, it became apparent that I needed my own space, as the use of one little standard oven only three days a week was no longer enough!

I tried and tried, but I was never able to find an acceptable and affordable replacement and ultimately my lack of business location in combination with personal health complications that required emergency surgery proved to be the undoing of my business.

Shortly thereafter, my husband and I decided to start all over here in Florida, and I chose the City of Dunedin because it looked like a great place to reopen my business. 

Now, here is the kicker - only two months after we moved, Michigan passed the Cottage Food Act, allowing people to produce and sell baked goods from their residential homes.  No permits, no inspections, no expensive equipment was required. 

Now, thanks to the hard work of the cake decorating community here in Tampa Bay, particularly that of Barbara Schmal of Krazy About Cake (www.krazyaboutcake.com), the Cottage Food Act has passed in Florida, effective July 1st. 

Thank you, Barbara, and all of you who have helped to make it possible for all of us to enjoy our new found liberty!  Happy Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment